Voting Event Days

For those that pay attention to the community grant channel on discord I (dogestyle on discord) brought up this suggestion a few days ago but wanted to expand on it on this platform since it allows us to have a singular focused thread to discuss this further.

I would like to suggest that we have a scheduled day/event for proposals to be heard and discussed to encourage higher vote turnouts. I imagine at the start we could do this via twitter spaces but ideally I wish it could be a more visual format that allows multiple participants to jump into the convo even if we all have filters that make us look like our toadz in suitz on the set of shark tank.

With the current format on any particular day there may be 1 or 2 proposals suggested and if you are not active on discord or checking the snapshot page you will never know about it. Even if you are an active member having to do this everyday might lead to some fatigue and you might end up missing a proposal you wish you could have impacted the vote on.

With the live format it will allow us to ask more questions about the proposal directly to the person making the request. We will be able to vote on multiple proposals at once. Will feel more engaging and if it’s done on a public format more people might be incentivized to want to be a “judge” and vote.

Having said that though the voting does not conclude on the live space, it’s just when the snapshot goes live. Those that miss the space will be able to listen in at a later time and the process goes on for the week long period that is currently in place. I also think we can incentivize people to be active voters and participants in the spaces by either having a poap or raising their odds of winning whitelist raffles slightly. For example if you were in the space and voted this week instead of 1 entry into the week’s raffle, you would have 2 entries.

What I see for people looking to get a grant is they would first post here on the discourse. Get some feedback that helps them prepare before the space and during the space is the real session where they pitch, take questions and snapshot goes live.

Hope some of you guys can add suggestions to this or find the flaws with this system so we can find the best route to having people engaged in the voting process.

6 Likes

Pretty much agree with everything you said and I don’t really see any downsides to this. Just like with any other official voting systems we have IRL, there are scheduled days for voting so I don’t see why we can’t do the same!

The two platforms that make the most sense are Twitter and Discord. Twitter is better in that it can appeal to a wider audience, but the speaker format is somewhat clunky and limited – you also can’t present media live. Discord is way better for speaking/presenting but is siloed to people only in the server.

The next move would be for someone from the CrypToadz team to select a day and time for the event, then broadcast it on Discord/Twitter. Anything else we need to do?

1 Like

I love this idea! As the community fund grows (so crazy that all of these CC0 projects are donating to us!), it will become more important to formalize this process, and designated vote days is a great place to start!

1 Like

Fully agreed! I do hope it gets more engagement for the proposals, right now I feel like they end up going to vote with very little discussion, or at least, very small number of participants discussing the projects.
Great idea to incentivize participation via increased raffle entries too.

2 Likes

I would like to suggest that we have a scheduled day/event for proposals to be heard and discussed to encourage higher vote turnouts. I imagine at the start we could do this via twitter spaces but ideally I wish it could be a more visual format that allows multiple participants to jump into the convo even if we all have filters that make us look like our toadz in suitz on the set of shark tank.

Interesting idea. Are you imagining this changes the vote system or just to kick off a 7 day commenting period we start with this per proposal?

I imagine person proposes their project on here for people to get familiar with the idea as we’ve been doing since the discourse got setup. The day of the spaces/event is when they would create the snapshot though and voting process would run for 7 days but I imagine most votes would come during the actual space and those that missed the space would listen to a recording of it before casting their votes.

While this could be a lot of effort if we have a lot of proposals, I’m all for trying this a few times to learn about how it helps as long as we’re clear on what we hope the goals of the experiment would be. Are you hoping that we have a bigger vote than on a proposal without a live audio dialogue around when the vote launches? So long as we define clearly the goal of the experiment this sounds interesting to try to me.

Oh no. I don’t think we should have a space each time a new proposal comes up, that would be overload. I think we have a show like once a week or every other week where we do a quick recap of developments in the toadz ecosystem, listen in on the different proposals and the rest of the time just vibe. This show would be the way for many people who don’t check the snapshots or discourse very often to find out about the new proposals and encourage them to vote. The only drawback I see to this is it might seem slower for some people that want to propose a project as they would be depending on the show aspect before votes really came in, but I still think the trade off makes it worth it.

1 Like

This is what I was imagining as well. No changes to Discourse or Snapshot system – I think it’s great as it is. Twitter Space would just be something to boost awareness/voter turnout. Projects that have proposed a grant already can step up and formally present their project if they wish.

Maybe before the event we can collect volunteers that want to present and have a scheduled 15-30m block for each project.

1 Like

Let’s see if we can try this for our next proposal. So far we have 3 proposals that are complete and none yet upcoming.

2 Likes

Should I create a snapshot for this or is the snapshot only for grants and milestone related project?

This is what I was imagining as well. No changes to Discourse or Snapshot system – I think it’s great as it is. Twitter Space would just be something to boost awareness/voter turnout. Projects that have proposed a grant already can step up and formally present their project if they wish.

This is something I don’t think we need a snapshot vote for, anyone in the community could just host a space weekly.

Sure anyone could host a space weekly but it certainly won’t have the same weight as if it was one hosted by the team. It’s premature right now as there is not enough proposals coming in to warrant putting on this show yet, but we seem to have gotten support thus far on here and on discord for this. I think having shark tank/y combinator style show for taking in pitches from different people in the crypto space pushing innovative projects that align with our purpose can be great for the community and the brand.

I understand the default response to leaving it up to the community members to do things, but some things are better done when they come from the team. For example, sure the community can moderate and have responsibility of a discord, but it makes sense for the central team to be responsible for that. The community can handle the twitter account of @cryptoadznft but it would not make sense and needs someone from the team having that responsibility. I think the default response to say let the community handle things is fine, but I also think it’s important to listen to what the community is asking for and evaluate if it makes sense for the central team to act upon those requests if they are feasible and can benefit the project. Just because we are pushing for decentralization does not mean there is not a place for centralized aspects to the project.

1 Like

Well said. 100% agree here @Wackyverse

@Wackyverse @ghostbonez thanks for your points. I do agree somethings are better handled by the team. Having seen some other projects where community leaders lead spaces/conversation I don’t see the Twitter spaces hosting being clearly in one camp or the other myself, but of course understand that we all can have different point of views.

1 Like

Hi @Wackyverse @ghostbonez if either of you are interested in hosting a space/town hall there is a new grant up for vote right now, could be a good time to test: Infinite Auction for Ukraine - #11 by haltakov

They just put up their snapshot!

Hahaha I do not think I would be an ideal host. I’m like gremplin when it comes to twitter spaces (I listen while kids run around and dog is asking to play fetch) and my twitter following is mainly just all the artists I love in the space and some other toadz.