Hello and thank you for your interest in Toadzgotchi!
For those that don’t know me, I go by Jeff or jefe on discord/twitter and I’m in the process of building a game for CrypToadz. What kind of game? Well, let’s dive in… this will be a lengthy one so grab some sludge and sit tight
Toadzgotchi is a browser/mobile game inspired by the popular Japanese game ‘Tamagotchi’ released in the late 90’s. For those that don’t know what Tamagotchi is, the main concept is simple: each handheld device contains a virtual pet the user must tend to in order to keep it alive, happy, and healthy. That is the core objective. Interestingly enough, it’s a style of game that you don’t necessarily ‘beat’ or ‘win’. It’s more of an experience of having a buddy that you can play with, care for, and watch grow throughout it’s lifespan.
A retro Tamagotchi handheld device
The game was extremely popular in the late 90’s and early 2000’s with more than 80 million devices sold to date. I remember nearly every other kid having one in middle school — they were so popular some teachers had to ban them because students would play with them all throughout class! Even today, Tamagotchi still releases new models to a solid player base all over the world, even collaborating with other brands like Star Wars and Pacman. If interested, here’s a video and wiki article that explains Tamagotchi in further detail.
An Adaptation of a Classic:
Toadzgotchi isn’t the first crypto adaptation of this game – a few notable projects have crafted-up their own version of virtual pet care, including:
- Cool Pets (Cool Cats child project + ERC20 $MILK (7k+ ETH volume in 1 week))
- CUDL Pets (P2E game on L2 Arbitrum with ERC20 tokenomics)
- Aavegotchi (Defi-centered pet game based off Aave + ERC20 $GHST (~$135m market cap))
- Wagmigotchi (Crypto pet game by the creator of Loot, dhof)
…and many more! The point is, there is clearly a demand for this style of game. My vision is to craft a CrypToadz-themed Tamagotchi where you can tend to your CrypToadz. I want to keep the core concept of feeding, maintaining, and playing with your CrypToad intact while adding some unique, fun, and never-been-done-before features on top. Some additional future gameplay features may include:
- Trait/Skill tree – Certain abilities/powers can be unlocked for your toad as you progress
- Battling/combat – Fight NPCs or other players to earn rewards
- Choice system gaming – Players choose between a give set of options to unlock unique experiences (think of the beginning of Pokemon where you choose between charmander, squirtle, and bulbasaur)
- Achievement/Questing – Collect badges/POAPs for achieving certain milestones
- Mulitplayer – hangout/visit friends in-game
- Breeding (explained below)
- Mini-games – puzzles, skill games, farming, etc
Concept version shown, final game subject to change
There are many ways Toadzgotchi brings value back to CrypToadz.
Exclusivity - Although the game will be free to play by anyone, owning a CrypToad will let you play with your specific toad if you own one, unlocking additional in-game features as well. This makes owning a CrypToad more desirable from a social aspect.
- Each specific toad will have its level/progress preserved (even if traded or transferred between people). This means each toad can individually become more valuable if someone has spent a lot of time progressing it.
Play to Earn - This is a tricky one that must be carefully crafted and thoroughly thought out. Game tokenomics can be constructed in many ways — here are a few non-specific and general ideas. They may be tweaked, combined together, or abstracted away as needed:
- Players can earn an ERC20 for playing and progressing in game. The ERC20 can be spent within game to purchase items/features. A small % of each transaction can be reallocated back to the CrypToadz treasury.
- The ERC20 can be staked and a small % from staking rewards can be reallocated back to the CrypToadz treasury.
- Players that voluntarily donate to the CrypToadz treasury can unlock exclusive in-game items.
- The earnable ERC20 can be swapped for ETH which in turn can be used to purchase more CrypToadz to compound potential rewards. More CrypToadz = More ERC20 rewards.
Breeding - Owning a CrypToad can unlock breeding mechanisms in-game.
- Breeding two CrypToadz together can create a new NFT that combines the traits of the two parents. (Or maybe each CrypToad can produce one child on its own, similar to Cool Cats/Pets)
- Children can then be playable characters within Toadzgotchi to earn additional rewards.
- Owning one or multiple CrypToadz is desirable for compounding breeding rewards from the children created.
- A small % royalty fee for trading the offspring can be reallocated back to the CrypToadz treasury.
Cross-project network effects - Spending the earnable ERC20 or simply reaching a certain level can be eligible for exclusive perks inside or outside Toadzgotchi, such as:
- A unique in-game skin or item.
- Whitelist or airdrop for a different NFT project.
- Exclusive access to a restricted area inside a metaverse, app, or IRL experience.
- Special merch.
Toadzgotchi NFT royalties - A small royalty fee from Toadzgotchi game case NFT sales can be reallocated back to the CrypToadz treasury (Toadzgotchi NFTs explained below).
Being able to do more with your NFT than just look at in your wallet opens up a new way to experience them. For me at least, Toadzgotchi would greatly deepen the emotional connection I already have with my CrypToadz. Additionally, the ability to unlock cool in-game features within a fully playable and enjoyable game highlights the power of ownership that is associated with your NFT, something that mainstream has yet to fully grasp. I firmly believe that gaming will ultimately pave the way for mainstream to fully adopt and embrace NFTs and cryptocurrency in a broader sense. Toadzgotchi plays one small, but key role in this massive journey.
Toadzgotchi has a playable MVP beta for anyone to experience at beta.toadzgotchi.com. You will need to connect to the Rinkeby test net and have Rinkeby ETH to play. Note that this version of the game is a loose interpretation and does not reflect the final gameplay. It was mainly an effort to determine if having the entire game mechanics stored on-chain was a viable option or not (for security/interoperability reasons).
The majority of beta testers helped determine that having game mechanics stored on-chain is not a viable short-term option due to the gas costs associated with executing transactions on Ethereum. The current tentative path is to store data off-chain in a private database. This means there will be no cost associated with playing – this is best for on-ramping new players with a lower barrier to entry. There is a possibility of exploring layer 2 solutions for pushing some data to the blockchain, but we will revisit this later on only if it’s needed/enough people request it.
Toadzgotchi is planning to launch cosmetic skin NFTs that will change the appearance of your game in the browser or on your phone. It is tentatively structured as such:
The game is entirely free to play. Users that don’t own a CrypToad can still progress a default toad (see above). Their wallet address acts an account to which their progress is tied to.
Each user also starts with the same standard Toadzgotchi game case as a default. See the retro Gameboy concept image above (shoutout Trickerz/Woody ). This standard game case is not an NFT.
Players that wish to customize their skin can mint a random Toadzgotchi case NFT.
Toadzgotchi game cases are a generative NFT collection of pixelized cases that will have varying attributes/rarities (mint price and supply TBD). It is a cosmetic skin for your game.
CrypToadz holders are eligible for 1 free Toadzgotchi case mint per wallet.
Beta testers and early adopters are eligible for 1 free Toadzgotchi case mint per wallet.
Mix and match your Toadzgotchi case NFTs and CrypToadz as you see fit!
Example of various Tamagotchi case skins
(subject to change)
February + March:
Setting up a private database to read/write game data.
Learning photoshop to create some test Toadzgotchi NFT game cases (example shown in the concept image above).**
March + April:
Release V1 of Toadzgotchi with new game mechanics and gather feedback.
Adjust/polish game mechanics, if necessary.**
Prepare mint contract and webpage for Toadzgotchi NFT genesis case minting.
Toadzgotchi case NFT mint/claim period.
Produce more in-game assets to improve gameplay experience.**
Explore breeding mechanisms/assets. **
Explore ERC20 tokenomics. **
- Conceptualize/develop multiplayer experiences.**
Points marked with asterisks ** are where potential funding can help hire on a full-time person to aid.
The major hurdles right now are:
- Producing in-game assets
- Fleshing out solid gameplay mechanics
I can solve point 1 by hiring on a full-time pixel artist. Point 2 will take time and potentially an experienced game designer to help solidify. Both will likely require some funding in the form of invoices/salary compensation for the work to be done. Research can be done on competitive pay rates for each job – I would guess roughly 1-2ETH per month for each, but open to feedback/insight on this.
Additional small lump sum payments of ETH may be required for game storage or development resources and/or deploying smart contracts.
Currently, I am the only full-time member working on Toadzgotchi core gameplay, assets, vision, and logistics. I am graciously receiving some voluntary part-time assistance from a few awesome people who are helping with overall direction and assets: kstehr, Woody, trickerz, papaya, and Cruzi. Major love and shoutout to you guys for believing in this idea, for real!
This is also a potential employment listing. If you are excited by the idea of building Toadzgotchi and are experienced in any of the following areas, please reach out! I would love to work with you
- Pixel art/animations
- Game development
- Front End and/or Back End web/app development
- Databases and servers
- Solidity/web3 development
If you made it this far, thank you for sticking around
I am thrilled and motivated at the opportunity to elevate the CrypToadz brand to new levels with you all. See y’all in the lily pad